11.04.2008

Election Day Thoughts

It's so human for us to place ourselves in the hands of our circumstances. If things are good in life, then God is good and we can be happy. If times are tough, well, God must not know what he's doing, because if he did, he'd change this situation so I'd feel happy!!!

I know that may sound ridiculous to you, but that's the mindset I find myself, and the world around me, defaulting to so often. We place an All-Access pass into the hands of the "Drama de Jur", allowing our emotional, physical, and spiritual strings to be controlled and determined by each new day and each new circumstance. In these crazy times, with all thats going on around us, I'm not sure living "spiritually bi-polar" and attached to "situational strings" is the answer.
This kind of "thinking" is deceptive and has seriously screwed me up in the past. Here's what we need to remember:

First things first: Our "happiness" takes the backseat to God's Glory. True happiness and lasting joy will always be a bi-product of Gods Glory in our lives...not the cause!
"God is most glorified in us when we are most satisfied in Him." -John Piper...I think...

I know it sounds good when politicians promise world peace, lower taxes, equality, love, and warm fuzzies for ALL, but we need to remember, the TRUE and ETERNAL joy we all seek won't be found in ANY President or Proposition.
Give your life's All Access pass to God. Place your hope in Christ alone. Don't expect Presidents, policies, or propositions to do what only God can!

No comments: