1.08.2008

People Disappoint Me

Do you ever have those moments where everyone disappoints you? Those times where it seems like there's a secret allegiance of people who have decided that it was their goal for their day to ruin yours? I don't know about you but I've definitely have felt this a lot.

If I'm really honest with myself, I know why. I can see exactly what's going on. What I know is that as soon as I stop seeking God and looking to Him to fill me, I've outsourced that need to those around me. Let me unwrap this.

We all have deep, inner needs, right? (Just say yes.)

We all crave meaning, joy, and fulfillment, don't we? (Well, I do!)

As soon as I stop looking to God to meet my needs, I place that responsibility in the laps of the people in my life.

No wonder I find myself over and over again being bummed out by the people I love.

No wonder I get left hanging...

No wonder I feel hurt by the littlest things.

I've placed an impossible task in the hands of limited people. That doesn't sound too fair! We will never be fully satisfied if we are placing the role of God in the hands of other people.

Let God be God and let people be people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it seems like I'm going to God for my needs...I sit there in worship and have a great time...and then break comes and no one even says hi. I'm a senior in this group, and I've been coming to this church since I was itty-bitty! How can these great Christian people around me not even care to welcome me--people I have known for ever?
I don't know how to not be disappointed by that. It seems the only people who talk on my wavelength are the leaders. Maybe it's just a hankering for college; maybe it's God putting that need in me to leave the house, get a life of my own. But at the same time, I would still like to connect with people in the here and now.
How do I mourn over drifting apart from my friends; how do I keep from feeling lonely? I want to go to God for my needs...and I thought I was. I take long walks where He and I just talk. Dude, He and I are totally cool! So how come I am still feeling lonely when I am around people? Sometimes it feels like a cage, all these people talking and not one of them caring. If I am with God, why should I care? And yet, we still need fellowship...
I just don't know how to reconcile the need for fellowship--encouragement and prayer with someone--with God's fulfillment of our needs. And I don't want to tell people I'm alone because I'm afraid of being condemned for not being with God. What more does God want? I'm giving Him my heart, my life, as a sacrifice...loving people when I just want to cry...
I just don't understand. Is there even an answer? Is there any way to go find good people without leaving the youth group? Is this just a stage where I'm supposed to put up with my breaking heart and live with it?