8.05.2008

That Band Sucks!

Quick riddle for you: "What's the most amazing thing AND the worst thing...at the same time?
Take your time here.....this ones a bit of a mind bender...OK. Times up!

The answer: Every Worship Band....EVER! (baadoom-chhhht)

I just think it's funny listening to how many differing opinions can be said about one thing...especially when that thing is, in this case, a worship band. It's just interesting to think that 2 similar people, standing side by side, listening to the same band play the same song, singing the same lyrics to the same God could walk away with completely opposite experiences and opinions.

One person loved it. The other was over it.

How does that happen? Is it just a preference thing or is there a deeper issue? The truth is it's probably a little of both. We all have musical likes and dislikes, right? I mean, I'll be the first to admit that I'm extremely critical and usually turn into Simon Cowell and start counting everything the band does "wrong." And without fail, the band that was, in my eyes completely blowing it, was at the same time ministering to someone standing next to me! Same band. 2 people. 2 opinions.

It's just a fact. There will always be a million different opinions about what one person likes and about what this other person wants in a worship band. But here's ONE issue I have when it comes to our opinions of worship through music: We'll either end up treating our worship bands like rockstars, in which the focus is placed on them and not on Jesus...OR we'll critically analyze them to death and if they don't impress us, we'll say they suck and that we're over it. And now...the focus is on us...the unsatisfied consumer.
I have to confess...I've placed too much responsibility into the hands of musicians...expecting the cool harmonies, delay pedals, and catchy choruses to make "worship happen." I just had this mental picture of me telling God, "Hold on God...I'm waiting for them to play my favorite song! THEN....I'll worship you. Ok?" I know that sounds crazy, but I'm totally guilty of that.
Here's my point...
Opinions about bands, even worship bands, are not the bad thing here. What I need to guard against is my tendency to allow the OPINION to quench the worship God deserves. And He deserves so much more than my personal critique of the worship team with my 3 1/2 Star review...(which could've been 5 Stars but I docked them for wearing cargo shorts and using a capo on every song.)

Remember: Guitar solos, cool worship bands, and your favorite worship songs didn't knit you together in your mothers womb or die for your sins. God, the Creator and Savior did! HE'S THE AUDIENCE.

Leave the critiques and opinions to Simon. Let's Worship God!